Thursday 2 April 2009

Gel


Gel, originally uploaded by Venn Diagram.

A picture paints a thousand words, or so they say.

In an effort to try and explain what a gel is, a picture of one in action. I tried to write a description, but I think this works much better. This is a red gel (a plastic insert for disco lights in this case) and some blu-tak to hold it in place. I wouldn't recommend the blu-tak, in my experience it doesn't hold too long...

I think any coloured plastic would work, so long as you can get it over the front of the flash somehow. I just got lucky and found some of almost the right size for next to nothing.

Incidetally, you can also see the CTR-301 wireless trigger under the flash, all mounted on a tiny Slik table tripod - very useful for sticking the remote flash on the floor or a table.

Strobist: 430EXII in shot, at 1/64th with a red gel. 360AFD to camera left, at 1/16th about 30cm away. Not the classiest of shots, but then I was in a bit of a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment